Good Reading : April 2015
COFFEE TABLE 1 FORGOTTEN ANIMALS Think of the word ‘animal’, and the images that flash into your mind are probably those of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and fish. But these familiar creatures represent only 4 per cent of the 1.5 million identified animal species. The other 96 per cent of animals are usually much smaller than these other, more readily identifiable creatures, which is why many of them look so strange to most of us. In this book by zoologist Dr Ross Piper you’ll find images of tiny sponges coloured in delicate, merging hues of green and blue, squat little water bears that at their largest are only 1.5 mm long, a nematode that looks like a fringed Leaning Tower of Pisa topped by a pink bathing cap, and a creature called a solenogaster, which resembles an orange fluffy slipper. Animal Earth: The amazing diversity of living creatures by Ross Piper is published by Thames & Hudson, rrp $39.99. Not every animal has feathers, fur, fins or scales. Animal Earth: The amazing diversity of living creatures showcases the weird, frightening and often beautiful animals – most of which are tiny, marine dwelling and often overlooked – that many of us never even knew existed.